Ilya Nathanson immigrated from Ukraine to USA in 1992. In Ukraine he graduated from Kiev State Musical College and Kiev State Educational University. In the United States his diplomas are equivalent to a Master degree in Education.
Mr. Nathanson is one of the Founders and self-perpetuating President of the Jewish Folk Crafts Guild, nonprofit cultural art charitable organization. Since an establishment of the organization in April 2000, he’s managing various art activities of the organization, doing administrative work and building public relations to present the Guild in the Jewish and Russian Communities. He also constantly communicates with the New York City and State elective public officials.
The woodwork is his passion and love. He is creating in: woodcarving, wood-turning, wood-burning and marquetry genres. As an artisan and a promoter of the Folk Craft, he participated in numerous exhibitions, street fairs and workshops in New York City.
Mr. Nathanson has been working as a Craft Teacher and Vocational Instructor for more than four decades. His goal is to encourage future Artisans, to involve children into the World of Craftsmanship.
Today, under his leadership and participation as an artisan, Guild is implementing the following projects:
1 Search and Development of Jewish Folk Crafts. Ilya Nathanson presents various kinds of Sabbaths Candlesticks.
2. In the project “Art against the Terrorism”, which is dedicated to the memory of 9/11, he presents compositions “Twins” in woodcarving.
3. “Introduction to the Craftsmanship” program in the “Creative Kids Station” project. This project for NYC Marine Park Community Center is in progress now.
* “Brooklyn Girls” jewelry boxes, wood 7″ x 2.5″ x 1″
* Sabbath Candlesticks wood 5″ x 11″
* “Business ship” cards holders, wood 4″x 2″x 2.5″ (sample for kids workshop)
* “Twins” wood 2″ x 3.5″ x 6″